(Alternate Title: Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension: A Mathematician’s Journey Through Narcissistic Numbers, Optimal Dating Algorithms, at Least Two Kinds of Infinity, and More)
Synopsis: Stand-up mathematician and star of Festival of the Spoken Nerd, Matt Parker presents Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension — a riotous journey through the possibilities of numbers, with audience participation
– Cut pizzas in new and fairer ways!
– Fit a 2p coin through an impossibly small hole!
– Make a perfect regular pentagon by knotting a piece of paper!
– Tie your shoes faster than ever before, saving literally seconds of your life!
– Use those extra seconds to contemplate the diminishing returns of an exclamation-point at the end of every bullet-point!
– Make a working computer out of dominoes!
Maths is a game. This book can be cut, drawn in, folded into shapes and will even take you to the fourth dimension.
So join stand-up mathematician Matt Parker on a journey through narcissistic numbers, optimal dating algorithms, at least two different kinds of infinity and more.
Published: October 2014 | ISBN-13: 978-1846147647
[Image Credit: http://www.penguin.com.au/jpg-large/9781846147647.jpg ]